It’s that time of year again- Valentine’s Day. Its the time for love, chocolate, and flying babies in diapers wielding bows and arrows. If you’re like me, you’ll be spending Valentine’s Day by yourself. Without a significant other. Without a “secret admirer”. Without a Valentine. Alone…
But don’t worry! Because February 14th also happens to be SAD, or Singles’-Awareness-Day. On this empowering day, single people everywhere celebrate their independence. On this day, women everywhere sing, “Single Ladies,” at the top of their lungs with their equally-as-single girlfriends, eating buckets and buckets of cookie dough ice cream. On this day, men are free from the excruciating pain of having to plan a special day and buy the perfect gift for their lover. And on this day, YOU can have the best time of your life by yourself while couples watch cheesy, vapid romantic comedies and struggle to find a reservation at some fancy, over-priced restaurant. Not sure what to do? Here are some ideas:
1. Hang out with SINGLE-minded people. Gather your friends and have a singles’ day out. Play a game where whenever one of you point out a couple, you get a point. Whoever gets the least amount of points buys dinner for everyone else.
2. Buy a beta fish. Beta fish are independent. They don’t like company. Let them remind you of how being single is totally fine.
3. Girls- pamper yourself. Go to a spa, get your nails/hair done, or stay at home and use one of those freaky, green, alien face masks. You don’t have to try and impress anyone on this day, so go all out.
4. Guys- I don’t know. Blow something up. You don’t have anyone hanging around you, begging you to do this-and-that. Play those videogames your significant other would hate to watch you play all day. Work out. Go off and… do whatever guys do.
5. Eat chocolate/dessert/candy. You don’t have to be in a relationship to enjoy something sweet.
6. Watch anti-Valentine’s Day movies. I’d recommend any horror or comedy movie. Some of my personal favorites are, “Scream,” “Dial ‘M’ for Murder,” “So I Married an Axe Murderer,” and, “The Break-Up”.
7. Do absolutely nothing. This is the one day where couples all over the nation go all out for each other. Why not just enjoy the day to yourself and relax? Take a nap. Browse the web. Hang out with your cat. Or you can just carry on with your day like normal, because Valentine’s Day can just be like any other day.